Unum is committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer.
We strive to employ people who reflect the communities and customers we serve, and aim to create a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential.
We welcome the ideas and unique contributions of every team member, and value the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences that make us a stronger company.
We celebrate the diversity of thought, viewpoints and ideas that help us overcome challenges and embrace the possibilities.
- Allows us to better understand the needs of our customers
- Brings out the best in our people
- Helps us be more competitive
- Attracts top talent - bringing energy and creativity
- Appeals to customers who demand diversity in the businesses they partner
Women in Finance Charter
- Set the goal that, by 2021, at least 35% of Unum’s Executive Committee will be female
- Linked the pay of our CEO and HR Director to diversity targets, and made our CEO our accountable executive for the UK Women in Finance Charter
- Launched a Women in Leadership programme to develop our high-potential female leaders
As of 31st August 2018, we have 20% female representation in our Executive Team and 29% at Board level.
While we recognise we still have further work to do, we do believe we are on track to meet our Charter target by our deadline.
We are committed to building and developing our own internal and external talent, and this is evidenced by our two women on our Executive Team, who - as a result of our focus on accelerating and promoting female talent in the company - have progressed up through the organisation to executive roles.
We have put steps in place to continue to invest in developing the capabilities of our internal talent, educating our employees on this important topic, and strengthening our external networking and outreach for future roles that arise.
For more information, please contact Victoria Belkhyate, Head of Talent and Development, who is our board member for the Charter representing all insurance signatories.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
We are also proud to be a Stonewall Diversity Champion, showcasing our commitment to creating an inclusive workplace for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees. Unum aims to be in the top 100 companies listed in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index – a benchmark that assesses progress on LGBT equality - within five years.
More about how Unum supports diversity and inclusion
We are proud of the work we do to promote diversity and inclusion inside Unum and the communities we live and work in. To read more, please see our recent corporate social responsibility report.