Unum is committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer.
We strive to employ people who reflect the communities and customers we serve, and aim to create a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential.
We welcome the ideas and unique contributions of every team member, and value the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences that make us a stronger company.
We celebrate the diversity of thought, viewpoints and ideas that help us overcome challenges and embrace the possibilities.
- Allows us to better understand the needs of our customers
- Brings out the best in our people
- Helps us be more competitive
- Attracts top talent - bringing energy and creativity
- Appeals to customers who demand diversity in the businesses they partner
Women in Finance Charter
- Set the goal that, by 2021, at least 35% of Unum’s Executive Committee will be female
- Linked the pay of our CEO and HR Director to diversity targets, and made our CEO our accountable executive for the UK Women in Finance Charter
- Launched a Women in Leadership programme to develop our high-potential female leaders
This commitment is evidence of our belief that an inclusive workforce is better for our employees, our customers, our shareholders and our communities.
We will publish annual updates on our progress. At the end of 2017, we are confident that we are on track to meet our target.
We put succession plans that promote gender equality for all our senior staff. We identify people with high potential who, with the right support, could step in to senior roles when they open up. Our High Potential Talent Framework and Women in Leadership Programme provide training, executive sponsorship, mentoring and stretch assignments so those future leaders have the skills they need. We have also invested in unconscious bias training across Unum.
Where we recruit externally, we are challenging our staff and external recruiters to ensure they have diverse shortlists and interview panels.
We are proud that Victoria Belkhyate, our Program Manager – Strategic Talent, has been chosen as the board member for the Charter representing all insurance signatories.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
We are also proud to be a Stonewall Diversity Champion, showcasing our commitment to creating an inclusive workplace for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees. Unum aims to be in the top 100 companies listed in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index – a benchmark that assesses progress on LGBT equality - within five years.
More about how Unum supports diversity and inclusion
We are proud of the work we do to promote diversity and inclusion inside Unum and the communities we live and work in. To read more, please see our recent corporate social responsibility report.