Unum UK joins Stonewall Diversity Champion Programme, promoting LGBT inclusion
13th September 2017
Employee benefits provider Unum has become a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a membership dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees. Being a Stonewall Diversity Champion is a key part of Unum’s Diversity and Inclusion programme, ensuring that all employees feel engaged, protected and empowered to perform well at work.
Liz Walker, Human Resources Director at Unum UK, said:
"We welcome ideas and unique contributions of every team member, and value the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences that make our company stronger. To show our commitment to creating an equal workplace, Unum aims to be in the top 100 companies listed in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index – a benchmark that assesses progress on LGBT equality - within five years."
- Creating a unified vision across the enterprise recognising that diversity makes the company stronger.
- Dedicated Diversity and Inclusion Employee Resource Groups, where dozens of employees are empowered to work in teams to develop plans that create awareness, provide education and promote opportunities to get involved in creating an equal workforce.
- Specialised training, toolkits, and informative sessions that promote inclusivity and remove barriers, including unconscious bias.
- Revamped policies to ensure LGBT staff are specifically addressed and protected from discrimination in the workplace.
- Working with charity partners that support the broader LGBT community, like the Albert Kennedy Trust and Pride Portland!
As the largest LGBT charity in Europe, Stonewall works with over 700 other organisations united around the common interest of ensuring all LGBT staff are accepted without exception in the workplace and promoting the power of an equal workforce1.
Matt Moore, Client Account Manager at Stonewall, said:
"We know that people perform better at work when they can be themselves and that diverse teams lead to more creative and productive environments. Unum’s efforts to create a truly equal workforce should lead the way for positive change across the employee benefits industry, and we hope they will influence other organisations in their sector to follow in their footsteps. By publicly sharing its dedication to sexual orientation and gender identity equality in the workplace, Unum is signalling to lesbian, gay, bi and trans people across the UK that it is an inclusive and progressive employer."